Whether you are looking to get into the satisfying world of D.I.Y. bike maintenance, or you are beginning to dabble in building your own wheels, or even a seasoned wheel tweaker who has previously always used break blocks, a wheel truing stand can make your life a whole lot easier!
No more having to work in odd or uncomfortable positions, and getting that ideal wheel alignment will be easier than ever. Not only that, but in the long run, investing in your own truing tools will save you $$$ in service fees. Many experienced bicycle mechanics will tell you that a good truing stand really is worth the investment. However, with so many different models and brands out there, how can you be sure which one is best for you? Luckily, we put the research in to bring you this list.
The Best Truing Stands Reviewed
|Top Pick||Park Tool TS-2.2P Powder Coated Professional Truing Stand|
|Alternative Top Pick||Cycling Deal Professional Heavy Duty Truing Stand|
|Best Budget Option||Minoura FT-1 Portable Wheel Truing Stand|
|Best Portable Option||Venzo Folding Bike Wheel Truing Stand|
Our Top Pick: Park Tool TS-2.2P Professional Truing Stand
Our Top Pick
Park Tool TS-2.2P Powder Coated Professional Truing Stand
Known as the world’s most popular wheel truing stand, and for good reason. Perfected over 40 years, it’s known as the Rolls Royce of truing stands.
It’s smooth operation allows for ultimate accuracy.
Park Tool TS-2.2P is packed full of features which makes it the best truing stand out there. Uprights move simultaneously to accommodate front and rear wheels, to make things that bit easier. Also, caliper clips are both removable and replaceable to better protect those painted rims. One of our favourite features is the spring-loaded calipers, and the specially designed caliper arm which prevents binding. Also the knobs are larger and more ergonomic without sacrificing any strength. Overall a fantastic tool which should be part of any bike mechanics collection.
What we like:
- Strength and Durability – It stands out from the crowd with powder coated heavy gauge steel, no chance of any flex happening here.
- Versatility – Park Tool TS-2.2P can be mounted on a bench or used free standing. Perfect for use in a workshop, garage or even outside. Also accommodates a large range of wheel sizes.
- Easy to use – Even those with little to no experience truing wheels can use this tool. Suitable for all levels of experience.
- Longevity – The powder coating protects the sturdy steel frame from corrosion. Which means, this is a trusty tool which will be with you for a long time so it’s worth the investment.
- Uprights accept wheels up to 29″ (both with or without tire)
- Calipers accept rim widths up to 4″
- Accepts hub widths up to 175mm
Alternative Top Pick: Cycling Deal Professional Heavy Duty Truing Stand
Our Alternative Top Pick
As the name suggests, this chrome plated truing stand can withstand heavy duty use. It’s fantastic and incredibly adaptable compared to it’s competitors, does everything you need and more.
The Cyclingdeal Professional Heavy Duty Truing Stand is something special, as it is made of heavy gauge steel, coated in nickel-chrome plating, meaning it’s long-lasting and flex-free. Renowned for incredibly smooth operation, it’s amazing versatility means it can be easily bench mounted or installed in a bench vice if necessary, or even used stand alone as it comes with a heavy-duty base.
What we like:
- Compatibility – This product really is amazing in this respect as it comes with bonus spoke tools to enable you to work on a variety of wheel sizes. Not only that, but they are color-coded for ease of use! Black is for 80 gauge/0.127 inches/3.23mm. Green is for 80 gauge/0.130 inches/3.30mm. Red is for 80 gauge/0.136 inches/3.45mm.
- Longevity – CyclingDealare so confident this tool will last a lifetime, it comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Adaptability – Adaptive uprights simultaneously move to better accommodate front and rear wheels.
- Accepts wheels up to 29″ / 622mm (both with or without tire)
- Accepts 29er /700c wheels (without tire)
- Accepts hub width up to 180mm
Best Budget Option: Minoura FT-1 Portable Wheel Truing Stand
Our best budget option
Minoura have built themselves a reputation for making high quality and reliable products for every cyclists needs. This nifty lightweight tool provides you with everything you need to complete wheel truing wherever, whenever.
The Minoura FT-1 allows users to easily detect lateral and radial problems with their wheel rim, and provides an in-depth but easy to follow instruction manual. It’s ideal for wheel repair on the go, due to it’s innovative light weight, fold-able design. It’s also hard wearing and suitable for building a wide range of wheels including BMX. It’s great value for money considering the quality, and the fact it comes with FCG-310 dishing tool and NW-300 nipple wrench.
What we like:
- Compact & Portable – We really like the lightweight design of steel base with alloy pillars, which folds easily and won’t take up much space in your garage.
- Adaptable – Suitable for a wide range of wheel types. The pillars are manoeuvrable for extra adaptability, so it’s hard to go wrong with this stand.
- 15mm / 20mm thru axles can be used when using optional adapters. Any other size thru axle will not work with the FT-1
- FT-1 will work with 9mm quick release skewers and fixed nut axels
- Accepts almost any hub size, including Accepts 29er /700c wheels (without tire)
- Not for professional use
The Venzo Folding Stand is small, but mighty. It’s beautifully made lightweight frame folds to a compact size with ease, perfect for storage and transport. However, the Venzo Folding Stand does not sacrifice strength for it’s compact design. It’s more sturdy and reliable than most fold away truing stands, and provides tremendous accuracy to boot.
What we like:
- High quality manufacturing – This stand is made of pure high grade steel, and manufactured to the highest quality. It comes with 2 years warranty.
- Ease of use – It can be folded away quickly and neatly, and transported easily. Perfect for fixing a wide range of wheels anywhere and everywhere.
- Great stability – For such a lightweight frame, the stability when truing a wheel is remarkable. You won’t have to worry about flex or slipping.
- Axle compatible with QR, 15 x 100mm & 110mm, 12 x 142mm ( not suitable for 20mm thru axle)
- Accepts wheels from 16″ up to 29” (with or without tires)
- Not for professional use
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you true a bike wheel without a truing stand?
While I have seen videos of people truing wheels with very little equipment these are all people with years of experience in bike repair. Its likely that without this level of expertise you will end up damaging the wheel as making it true.
What does it mean to true a bike wheel?
When a bike wheel is true it’s perfectly straight without any wobbles in the fame. This is important as any wheel that is not true may slightly wobble and push against the brake pads or frame possibly causing an accident.
How tight should bike spokes be?
This is something that you have to pick up over time and experience, spokes should be tight enough that when you give them a hard squeeze there is still a small amount of play in them. Feel other bikes spokes to give yourself a reference point.
How long does it take to true a wheel?
Your first time truing a wheel might take 20-30 minutes but after that you should be able to true a wheel in no more than 10 minutes.
Other Worthy Mentions
So not every stand can be the best of the best. but some are still pretty dam good so we thought we would include them in this list aswell.
Nice and simple truing stand design. which provides everything you want in a truing stand.
- Precision– Includes bubble level to help with measurements
- Stability – Steel plate construction
This all in one stand covers wheel truing that covers Accepts rim widths up to 5.0 inches, rim sizes up to 23 inches.
- Foldable design – folds away to take up less space
- Versatile – the stand is able to check bearings along with balance wheels.